Friday, July 27, 2007

What a day......

Expensive and annoying. Such a special combination.

Started the day going over to Toyota, so that Hubby would have a freshly clean car for his trip down to Comic-Con (or, as I call it the 4-day Geek-gasm, but I'm just jealous and want to go). I had been told it would just be a routine oil change. Not so. Major service, requiring an overnight stay, and a rental car for me. You see, at 7 mo . Preggo, it's simply not a good idea to be without wheels. Not happy about going to the rental place. Unhappier still about the extra $225 we weren't planning to spend.

Get picked up and go to Hertz to get the rental. Computers are crashing. It takes them 45 minutes to give me a crappy Chevy Malibu, even though 10 other customers have come and gone.

The good part of the day was meeting Mom for a belated b-day lunch.

As I'm leaving the mall, Toyota calls to say, the car is nearly done. WHAT? WTF did I spend my morning in Hertz for, then? Unfortunately, it's too late to turn in the crappy rental and get back the car that hubby WANTS to take to San Diego. I have to get home and meeti the carpet cleaners. Oh, and by the way, they're recommending another $350 in "preventative maintenance" for the car. That can wait, Bubbas.

The carpet cleaners arrive 45 minutes after the prescribed 1-hour window. If only they'd called me earlier, I could have returned the car! Now I have to wake up early tomorrow and get it in before the 24 time limit at 9 a.m. The carpet guy is nice enough, though, and seems extremely competent. Competent and polite. Two of the killer three (punctual is another of my favorite traits, but he blew that one) ain't bad. I don't even really mind when he tells me that getting rid of ALL Romeo's stains will cost an extra $100. The blog glut you've witnessed today is the result of being locked in the bedroom with the cats for three hours while he works.

Plus, Hubby appears to be cranky. Traffic has been brutal this week, making his normal 1 hourish commute at least 2. And there's nothing I can do about it. That's a crappy feeling. Really crappy.

Suffice to say that the extra expenses of this weekend have eliminated my plans to head to my Zen place and get a massage. I need nursery decor, and a glider... and a video camera. No massages for me. (pouty face) However, we're back to zero as far as house cleanliness goes, and I've had time to put together a to-do list for this weekend:

  • Hit Michael's and drop some dough. I think that my solo time this weekend will allow me to start deconstructing photo albums, and putting the photos into boxes, as well as starting Baby Girl's baby book. I'm going to make one rather than buy something cheesy.
  • Start cleaning out closets, boxes etc. and downsize wherever possible. We need room to put out all the baby gear that we're told will be arriving soon.
  • Put together menus and do the grocery shopping for next week. Try to pull a Rachael Ray and have all the veggies washed and ready to go.
  • Get Chinese take-out from my favorite spot in Camarillo. I'll be passing through tomorrow to pick up the Grandma on the way to my Sis' Housewarming party.
  • See a movie? Probably Hairspray or Becoming Jane. I have to figure out which Hubby has less interest in seeing.
  • Go to Jo-Anne's or a similar fabric store with the baby's sheet and scout material. Because we can't paint the walls in the rental, I'm thinking about tacking up some nice textured fabric to add a little color and interest. I simply cannot put a white crib up against a white wall. It won't work for me. I need to decide on wall decor before I can pick out rugs or a bedspread for the twin in the room. I'm ready to get started on the whole nursery thing.
  • IF time allows, I'd like to start re-teaching myself knitting. I'd like to be able to do more than one stitch before I start on a baby blanket for my little one.

No comments: