than ever appreciate the richness of the universe J.K. Rowling has created. The things I found that are "new" this time are minute, but important to me, because I care about every detail. Here's what I've got:p368 (paperback- I'm traveling)- Dumbledore and Harry are describing how Tom Riddle managed to kill his family and blame it on Morfin. He said that because it was in a wizarding house, they were unaware of who performed the curse. However, the Riddles were killed in the Riddle house, and they were Muggles. I'm sure they're just trying to point out that the Ministry jumped to conclusions... but it seems like an inconsistency to me.
I'm also still bothered by the fact that despite how many times we've heard that no one can apparate or disapparate within the Hogwarts grounds, House Elves can do it. A lot. Why them. We've heard they have different powers, but why that? Are we goingt o get an explanation.
Okay, the Horcruxes:
The Diary- Destroyed
The Locket (Slytherin) - Assumed Destroyed
Hufflepuff's Cup?
Ravenclaw's?
Gryffindor's?
Unknown?
Dumbledore things Nagini the snake might be one. I'm not sure if I buy that. And if Dumbledore is right, and he has the only remaining relic of Godric Gryffindor is safe at Hogwarts, we're missing 2. This is not a great start for our guy Harry.
My favorite thing about this book, however, is that the power Dumbledore describes Harry as having, is growing stronger, all around him. Throughout the book, you have examples of Harry and his friends becoming a stronger unit, which is more than "the cause." The same is true for Harry and Dumbledore's relationship. It's far more than student/teacher. It is familial, and very loving.
Love, despite all the odds is everywhere. Tonks is in love with Lupin, and willing to give up anything for him. Fleur does not care that Bill has been hurt in battle, and wants to marry him anyway, leading the Weasley's to love and respect her as it is. Ron and Hermione have finally found their way to eachother, taking a great friendship to another level. Last but certainly not least, Harry pulls the "Batman" move of breaking it off with his first love, Ginny, in order to protect her.
It is all this Love, and the power created by it that makes me believe that they can't kill off Harry in book 7. There will be many more sacrifices, but in the end, good will win.
I honestly don't know which way Snape is going to go. I see arguments for both sides, but as we have learned, Dumbledore is rarely wrong. I can't WAIT for Friday/Saturday.
And- in rebuttal of some of the points made by my Dude over at mysocaldlife.blogspot.com:
Yes, Alan Rickman plays him good. But Alan Rickman is the best. He could turn that on a dime for the next movie and amaze us all. He rocks. Especially in Dogma. If you haven't seen that movie, rent it NOW.
As for the "hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face." I agree that it makes him seem bad. However, we need to think about just what a difficult position he's been put in. He could be hating Draco and Narcissa for putting him in this situation through the Unbreakable Vow, and hating Dumbledore, for giving him, what I assume is the same orders he gave Harry. The greater good, and Snape's position within the society of the Death Eaters is more important than D's life, and therefore, he's on orders to follow through, even though it's the last thing he wants to do. You can love someone (Dumbledore) and hate them at the same time. If I'm right about that, though.... I don't understand how Snape could EVER come back and gain the trust of the Order again. Dumbledore is the ONLY one who knew why he trusted Snape. However.... we do know that Dumbledore has saved many of his memories in bottles for the Pensieve. Maybe that is one of them.That could work. I'm babbling. I need to stop and just stew in all of this for the next 4 days.
2 comments:
yeah, but how about this ... how is the greater good served more by dumbledore getting killed rather than severus, which would have happened had snape not honored the unbreakable vow? i am still debating very tightly whether snape is bad. i'm still at about 55 percent bad. but i'm coming from a spot of 85 percent good. that's a big swing for me. And while Dumbledore is rarely wrong, he said himself that he has been wrong and because of his brilliance, when he's wrong the consequences are BIGTIME WRONG. I forget which book that's in, but I remember that distinctly.
And Snape has never exhibited any signs of love or even respect particularly for Dumbledore so if he has been secretly hating himself for what he had to do, it seems like Rowling failed as a writer to provide a single clue about that. Then again, the entire victories in Books 1 and 2 were not foreshadowed in the least.
But regardless, I feel like Severus' tale is the biggest loose end that had better be tied up save for the big stuff.
as for Horcruxes ...
whoops ... as for horcruxes:
1. Locket, which is in the hands or R.A.B. (could be destroyed)
2. Diary, destoryed
3. Hufflepuff cup (MIA)
4. Nagini (alive and kicking. wonder what special circumstances warranted Nagini's getting so honored)
5. The Ring, destroyed. That's why Dumbledore's hand was fucked up.
6. ???? Seems like it's gotta be a longlong Ravenclaw object, since Godric Gryffindor's sword it's not.
Btw, Harry says at the end of six that he's going to head to Godric's Hollow, where his folks lived, right? That's also gotta be named for Godric Gryffindor, right?
Are we gonna learn that Harry is a Gryffindor heir? And the true story of the breakup of the original four? What choices did they all make that led them to our current circumstances?
And lastly, I would prefer Snape to be good ... but it seems like in writing these books evil needs someone else besides Voldemort to counterbalance how many protagonists and protagonists' assistants we have. And Draco clearly seemed too much the pussy to be the other evil, which to me is Rowling's biggest flaw with these books. Draco should have been a kick-ass villain who grounded some of Harry's and Ron's and Hermione's travails in a more relatable reality.
Post a Comment