Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Black Death and Puppy Death- No Good News Today

So, a woman in LA is being treated for the Plague. I mean the PLAGUE. Please!

In addition to the plague, according to a great, sad, and made-me-snotty article in Los Angeles Magazine, LA has a real problem with unwanted dogs and cats. Last year, 90,000 dogs and cats were put down in the Greater LA area. That could be good news, when you compare it to the 250,000 that were put down each year in the 70s, but still, 5 Million animals in 35 years is unacceptible.
I can't imagine what kind of person abandons an animal, but people are, and in droves. The article I read quoted an Animal Control Officer as saying that during routine calls, other people will ask him to take their pets away with the strays from the nighborhood. The charge to rid yourself of an unwanted pet is only $5.
It's easy to say that LA should adopt a no kill policy, but there is simply no room for the unwanted would-be and used-to-be pets. But why can't we find a way to hold these people accountable?
I know I'm all smooshy about animals, maybe more than I should be, but this is still just sickening to me. This is just another reason I want to get a house. Houses with yards are big enough to house, me, Hubby, kids, and a menagerie of animals. Someday, I'd love to have a couple dogs, a couple cats, a fish or two, and who knows what else. For now, though, my one boy, a (neutered!!!!) rescue, is keeping the house plenty busy.

1 comment:

Sweets T said...

Yeah, I'd love to, but without a Rhodes email address, that's kinda difficult. I activated a Rhodes account. We'll see what happens.