Monday, June 08, 2009

Sweets Reflects on her 20s

Today is my 30th birthday. My twenties have been amazing.

1999- Blood Brothers. I discover what it is to lose yourself and find yourself at the same time. I will forever be grateful to my friends who supported me, especially the ones that were more than capable of playing the role, far more talented than me, and loved me anyway when I got it.

Summer spent in England. This was my first time really being away from my family, and getting to explore a culture and region that I absolutely love. I cannot WAIT to get back there someday.

2000 - Much Ado About Nothing. I love Shakespeare.

First love. Stupid, blind, wonderful first love, and all the crazy things that go with it.

Little Shop. So fun. The best opening night flowers ever. The funniest video ever. (A chickachicka PAIN!)

Summer spent in South Africa. Wilderness, wild animals, and wild boys with accents.

2001 - Canterbury Tales the Musical. Really? Really. Gawdawful show that was SO much fun. Lost inhibitions by showing my garters and chonies, and faking an orgasm that sounded like a rooster in front of 150+ folks a night.

Into the Woods. Experienced my first audition sabotage. I do not miss corsets.

Cruise out. 'Nuff said. Those of you who were there remember. I spent most of the evening with one of you. DAYUM.

Graduated from college. That scared the bejebers out of me. Didn't want to leave Memphis, but did, because the powers that be had an in for a job, and a house.

Got my heart shattered. It's good for that to happen to everyone once. I learned a lot. I made a LOT of foolish decisions following it, but whatever. You live, you learn.

2002- Was promoted within 6 months of starting my first job. Woo hoo.

A wonderful happenstance in Palm Springs changes my life for the better and fixes many of the things that are broken. About the same time, I meet Hubby. Cancel my Match.com membership the next day. Between these two events, I had to make the hardest decision of my life, and ended up hurting someone I loved doing so. Still, it was the right decision.

2003 - Worked my arse off, and spent a lot of time with the hubby. Met the future in-laws.

2004- I decide it's a bad idea to spend all my time working for a jackass. I find a better job and quit.

Hubby gets his PhD. We celebrate in Vegas.

I spend my first Christmas away from the family, but it's worth it. We get engaged Christmas night.

2005 - The rest of this year is eclipsed by the greatest wedding ever, and a honeymoon in Hawaii.

2006- Ted the Cat enters our lives. We become Godparents. We go back to Hawaii (Sometimes I miss two incomes and not having to be responsible).

2007- I get pregnant, and lose the baby days later. Worst experience of my life. But the silver lining is that I get pregnant again, 4 weeks later. We go back to Hawaii again to celebrate. Pregnancy is SUPERAWESOME, and Baby E is even better.

2008- I become a stay-at-home mom. Hubby finds a new job. Baby E turns 1. We move to MA.

2009- Loving our new life in MA. Considwering a sibling for the little widget. I can't wait to see what my 30's have in store.

In all seriousness, I cannot express how lucky I am to have so many wonderful people in my life. My friends and family, and friends I consider family have shaped this wonderful journey. I love each and every one of you dearly.

2 comments:

The Kleins said...

Shel.... that was a great reflection :) Your 30's are going to be great!

Anonymous said...

have i mentioned that you are one of my favorite people?