Friday, May 15, 2009

My New Hobby

Now that I have a yard, I have become a little obsessed with gardening. The beds inside the stone wall were sparsely planted when we moved in, and something about that lit a fire. I'm not sure if it's the farmer in my blood (although, this isn't exactly a citrus orchard....), or my dear Papa's influence, but I am absolutely loving it so far.

Last fall, all I had time to plant were my bulbs.... 150 of them, almost all of which bloomed. Sadly, we were on vacation for the best show of tulips, but I have plans to dig 'em up, and add many more for next year.

This spring, it's been nonstop! I ordered over 100 plants from Bluestoneperennials.com, Burpee.com and Harrisseeds.com and got them in the ground after extensive attempts at designing. I went with all perennials in the beds hoping that the work will be more maintenance in future years. I've supplemented with annuals in pots, and will add a few to the border to keep things blooming.

When we were considering the house, I was also excited to see that there were 4 veggie beds in the back. I've started snow peas, onions, carrots (the only thing that's worked from seed so far), herbs, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower. My heirloom tomato plants and soy bean seeds should arrive shortly to round out the spring/summer food. I'm also going to keep trying with the lettuce, which is an epic fail thus far. I'm also starting seeds indoors for pumpkins, sunflowers and nasturtium, hoping to add those to the mix soon.

No comments: