Saturday, January 10, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Now that we've settled in, I can finally set some goals for the next year. I hope that if I write them here, I'll be accountable:

1. Get healthier. Right before we left California, I was doing great. Eating healthfully, doing Bikram Yoga 2 or 3 times per week, walking with E twice a week or more.... and I completely fell off the wagon when we moved. Trying to work out in the winter is a challenge, 'cause it's too cold to go walking, and I don't like the temperature swings involved with doing Bikram.... So, we got a Wii Fit (hey, it's SOMETHING), and I'm looking into a membership at the YMCA, which not only has free childcare, but a kids mat room (like gymboree). Hopefully, once spring hits, we'll be able to afford to put me back in Bikram.

2. Get involved. It's hard to meet people in new places, but Emma and I are doing our best, we're involved in the Newcomer's Club Moms and Tot's group, are going to start going on outings with another local mom's group. I have my first Book Club meeting on Monday, and we have a playdate set up for next week.

3. Finances. While we are in great shape, and so lucky to be so, these troubled times mean everyone should be more careful. The most immediate goals are to complete our re-fi and get the papers in order for taxes. We also need to set a budget and stick to it.

4.House Projects. We own a fixer-upper and we love it. So, we're hoping to do a few things before 2010: radon mitigation, new floor/epoxy in the basement and garage, paint Scott's Basement Bar (which who knows, could become the Jimmy Buffett Tiki Bar if I'm left in charge), paint in the half-bath and upstairs hallway, and replace a few of the ugly light fixtures. If things go very well financially or we get a big return on our taxes (c'mon Mr. Obama!), we want to put in a wood-burning stove.

5. Other Stuff. Hmmm.... Get Emma to say a word that makes sense to someone other than herself, stay addicted to Facebook, continue to read at least 12,000 pages of books per year, and attempt to be more eco-friendly wherever I can.

This is a big list, and likely won't all get accomplished, but hey, I'm going to try!

No comments: