Sunday, June 15, 2008

Culinary Weekend

So, this weekend, we headed up to the homestead to celebrate Dad's Day and my father's birthday with the fam. Since they just returned from Africa, I put on the whole spread. It was a great success!

We had turkey burgers created from a recipe heard on Oprah. I omitted the celery and parsley from this recipe because I hate both. The burger's were a big hit, despite the fact that my fam is a red meat fam. We served the burgers with fresh corn and watermellon from the farmers market, and tangy coleslaw from this month's Cooking Light. The slaw and burgers are both going into regular rotation at our house. Very, very yummy.

For dessert, I made Rocky Road Fudge Brownie Muffins found on Cookie Madness and White Chocolate Mini Blondies. The blondies were a recipe from Paula Deen found on Bake or Break. As with many Paula Deen recipes, at least in my opinion, it was a little much. The amount of butter used soaked thru the muffin cups and made them almost greasy. Coming from me, the comment of "too much butter" is really saying something. I don't think I'll be keeping the recipe. That said... they disappeared quickly, so everyone else liked them. You'll have to judge for yourself. The Brownie Muffins were great. I found they worked best with gourmet marshmallows from Trader Joe's. They're much softer, and melt better, holding everything to the muffin.

All in all, the food was a big hit, and I had a ton of fun doing it. Can you tell I've been reading a lot of Foodie Blogs lately? Yet another reason I want to get moved and get a house! I want to entertain!

No comments: