Thursday, June 15, 2006

This little family is a mess........

It's not bad enough that I have stitches(healing well, by the way) and am gimping around. Yesterday, the boys started showing signs of illness so I had to take a half day off from work to take the boys to the vet.



This one just needed his first vet visit, but some strange litterbox action had me a little worried. The prognosis: After the vet manhandled his junk, and basically forced the second testi to descend, he's good to go for neutering. He's had his shots, he's FIV and Leukimia free and his fecal test - which involved me coming home, following him to the litter box and going back to the vet to drop off a test tube of something I really didn't want to be closeto- came out normal too. He's about as healthy as a kitten can be.



This one (shown here enjoying Christmas) is a different story. He's been grooming himself bald on most of his undercarriage for more than a year. However, since the arrival of the little brother, it's been getting much better. This week, however, he picked a spot and groomed it so much he actually broke skin and gave himself a sore. He now has prescription drops I have to apply three times a day. He also got his shots and routine exam and is now under the bed hiding. The bad news is, however, that his heart murmur seems to be getting worse with age, and he now really needs an echo cardiogram. Yeah. It's as expensive as it sounds, but we'll know if he can be helped by meds. I'm crossing my fingers for yes, because if not, he may have a dramatically shortened lifespan, and no one wants to deal with me if that happens. Finally, a little bit of good news- he's lost 1.4 lbs since last year, which is a lot of weight for a cat, and will probably help out his ticker quite a bit.

I felt so bad about being a bad mom, that I needed a pick-me-up. A mani/pedi worked pretty well. The first pedicure of the summer always does wonders.

No comments: