Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Top Ten Holiday Movies of All-Time

I know this post will be controversial. This type of thing always is. I'm a holiday movie lover. Below are what I believe to be the best of all time.

10. Charlie Brown's Christmas. I don't think I've watched it in years, but it holds a special place in my heart.
9. Love, Actually. While not a Christmas movie in the classic sense, the hopeless romantic in me does not call the season complete without watching this flick.
8. Holiday Inn/White Christmas. Let's face it. One can never get enough Irving Berlin.
7. Miracle on 34th Street (original). Natalie Wood! Maureen O'Hara. Sigh. I still believe in Santa!
6. The Grinch That Stole Christmas (original cartoon). I wouldn't touch him with a 37 and a half foot pole....in a good way. That crap with Jim Carrey doesn't even deserve to me mentioned.
5. Home Alone. The scream with the spider on the face is perhaps among the funniest moments ever filmed.
4. Elf. Well done, Will Farrel. Creating a Christmas Classic isn't easy.
3. Christmas Story. I actually don't LOVE this movie, but the holiday just isn't complete without watching my hubby get all giggly and watch bits and pieces for 24 hours straight.
2. It's a Wonderful Life. I weep. Every time. Weep.
1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Not only is this the best Christmas Movie ever, I happen to think it's the best movie ever. I quote it all year. I own it, and have to watch it in July, just to get me through. Laughing so hard you snort is such a great feeling.

Honorable Mentions go to The Santa Clause (2 and 3 are watchable, but the first is the only really worthwhile one), Mickey's Christmas Carol (and the animated shorts that came with it on the VHS tape I got when I was 6), Miracle on 34th St. - New Version, and Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. Personally, I don't think Muppets should be depressing, but my husband's utter devotion to this film makes me love it.

No comments: