Sunset Magazine's Carmelized Carrot Risotto
2 Tbsp of Oil, divided (I used closer to 2 tsp. of very high quality olive oil, and supplimented a touch with chicken stock)
3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, divided (I used 2 Tsp.)
6 Med. Carrots, peeled and chopped as finely as possible, 1/4 in. dice suggested, about 3 cups
About 1/2 tsp. salt.
1 tsp. sugar
5 C. reduced-sodium chicken broth (I actually used Chicken Stock for more flavor, since I didn't use as much butter or oil)
1/2 C. minced onion ( I think I used a shallot, it was all I had.)
1 1/2 C. Arborio Rice
1/2 C. Dry White Wine
1/4 C. Marscapone cheese (I used 2 Tbsp. of Organic Light Whipped Cream Cheese)
1/4 C. freshly shredded Parmesan Cheese, plus more for garnish.
1 Tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish (I omitted this completely, and think the crap tastes awful. Why, WHY is parsley in everything?)
1 tsp. roughly chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. White Pepper (I didn't have this, just cracked some black pepper)
2. Bring broth to a simmer and keep at a simmer, covered, over low heat.
3.Heat remaining oil and butter in same, unwashed pot. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add rice, stirring to coat rice with oil. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine evaporates. Add carrot puree and cook, stirring until mixture no longer looks soupy.
4. Add 1/2 c. hot broth, stirring often, until rice absorbs most of the liquid. Repeat process, adding 1/2 c. broth at a time and stirring often till each addition is absorbed before adding the
5. Fold in most of reserved carrots, marscapone, and 1/4 C. Parmesan. parsley and thyme. Add up to 1 C broth (1/4 c at a time) to loosen the risotto.
6 Sprinkle each bowl with carrots, parmesan and parsley (ICK! PARSLEY! ICKYPOO!) Serve immediately and enjoy....preferably, not with dry, flavorless pork.
As I said before this week was also another Farmer's Market experiment. I'd never tasted rhubarb. It looks like red celery.... and I loathe celery. Not quite as much as parsley, but close. Still, my dad waxing about strawberry rhubarb pie made me consider it. I made a cake. And was THRILLED with the result. Tart and tasty. I wish I had known before the end of the season. I would have bought a bunch and frozen it! This turned out a lot like shortcake, and would be fantastic with some fresh whipped cream.
Cooking Light's Fresh Rhubarb Cake
1 1/3 C Sugar (I used 1/3 c sugar and 1/3 c splenda in each part of the recipe)
1/3 C. Butter, soft (I used Smart Balance Omega Spread)
1 large egg
2 tsp. grated orange rind (Didn't have an orange, so I used 1/4 tsp. orange extract)
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/8 tsp. Salt.
3/4 C. Low-fat buttermilk (again, didn't have it, so I used low-fat sour cream- and the cake was moist and yummmmay)
1. Combine rhubarb and 2/3 C. sugar and spoon into a greased 8' x 8' pan.
2. Beat 2/3 C. sugar and butter w/ paddle attachment for about 5 minutes. Add egg, and beat, then add orange and vanilla.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour.
5. Spread over Rhubarb mixture.
6. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.
This makes 9 servings, which doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty rich.
No comments:
Post a Comment