Friday, May 02, 2008

Preserving a real treasure....


This week, my big project was learning how to use our scanner and scan in some of my grandmother's recipes. If you read this blog regularly, you'll know that my Grandma Ruby passed away in February. If you had the pleasure of meeting my grandma, you'll know that she was an incredible baker. There were always cookies and cakes and breads in her kitchen. She always knew what your favorite was and had it coming out of the oven when you came over. She send me tons of care packages in college. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting on the counter in her sunny kitchen, drinking Sunny Delight and helping her press Gingersnaps. What a lady.

Rather than have my Aunt type up her recipes, I thought it would be more meaningful to preserve them as I remember them: on recipe cards, aged and creased, with the occasional splatter of oil. After searching through the boxes for my favorites, I have 28 pages of great memories... waiting to be perfected in my own kitchen.

No comments: