Monday, December 10, 2007

Holiday Sports- Gingerbread Style


Our family has a tradition. Every year my Aunt and Uncle Host a gingerbread house competition. Generally, its them, my cousin, my crazy grandma, and Hubby and I. This year, my Sis joined us, and Little E observed. We all start with the same constructed house, and a bunch of candy. You're also allowed to suppliment with other goodies, as long as they're edible.

Now, I'm sure you're all picturing a warm and fuzzy day with all of us enjoying the holiday spirit. No way. No how. First things first, this competition is usually fueled with wine and beer. I was only allowed to have a single glass, or the Champers would have been flowing. Everyone else still had fun, while I nursed a single glass of Chardonnay over the four-hour competition. There's trash talking (especially at Grandma, who manages to use about 3 lbs of icing each year, makes a giant mess, and always complains that her stuff doesn't work), there can be full contact, if a situation calls for it.... I look forward to this all year. Every year we step up our game. As you can see from this year's entries- we're all pretty good. This year, I made team uniforms for our little fam. Hubby, E and I all wore reindeer headgear.

I have the reputation for being a little overzealous, and planning too far ahead. Maaaaybe it's true. This year, I painted my house with food coloring and water and used thin icing to create the look of brick, added a classic neco wafer roof, and added candy touches throughout. I'm very proud of my creation.

Hubby has, in the past, been the Zen Gingerbread guy. His designs were always simplistic. We're not sure what happened this year. He sat there for about an hour, just looking at his house, and then next thing we knew, it was covered in giant Peeps, and he was squirting icing everywhere. Despite that, it turned out really fun, and now they're both gracing our dining room, waiting to be fawned over at our annual holiday bash.

No comments: